Clifton has maintained the charm and feeling of a Norman Rockwell painting. The town has been around since the 1700's—initially as a plantation and earlier as Indian hunting grounds. The railroad started Clifton on its way to the town we know. The Civil War played an important part in the journey also. During the war Clifton was known as Devereux Station. In 1868 Devereux Station became known as Clifton Station. In 1869 a Post Office was established and the town started growing with stores, schools and a community feeling. On March 10, 1902 Clifton Station was established as a town by Charter from the General Assembly.